Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My Notes from "About Face" Book

As I am reading this book called "About Face" I remember David Platt's quote about blindly implementing a customer's requirement in software.
He is saying "Imagine a patient who visits his doctor with a horrible stomachache. "Doctor," he says, "it really hurts. I think it's my appendix. You've got to take it out as soon as possible." Of course, a responsible physician wouldn't perform the surgery without question. The patient can express the symptoms, but it takes the doctor's professional knowledge to make the correct diagnosis."

About Face book is saying

Current software, websites interface routinely
1- Make users feel stupid
2- Cause users to make big mistakes
3- Require too much effort to operate effectively
4- Don't provide an engaging or enjoyable experience

To those who do not have a design step I'd say
"You can not effectively design a house after construction begins"

No comments: